Wednesday 24 March 2010

Blowing eggs and emotional pain



It's mind-blowing* how the world wide web reflects your individual psyche. And how deeply fulfilling that can be in the most surprising ways.

[I wonder, is the www becoming the external mind of the millions of people who - I want to say 'use' it but I am going to say - are part of it? Whoa!]

Yesterday, even while I knew how to blow eggs to decorate for Easter, I had to google it anyway since I google everything. I found this great egg-blowing instructions article on WikiHow. On the side-bar was a list of featured 'how-to' articles including "Cope with Emotional Pain".

I love that juxtaposition.

Out of curiosity rather than emotional pain (not that I haven't, of course, experienced emotional pain!) I clicked that link and found a lovely article - which I added to!

I've never done this before. I know about the wonderful people who spend time helping others by creating and editing pages on Wikipedia and so on. And I know the www has allowed for a massive demonstration of the kindness and generosity of people in this way.

I read the article and was just thinking, "it would be good if this article also mentioned 'mindfulness' as an effective technique to help with emotional pain since I have found this very helpful" when I noticed the "EDIT" button.

An EDIT button!

So I tentatively clicked it and I left my little contributory paragraph under 'tips' and it appeared as part of the article.

I was going to share my little contribution towards supporting and healing others by pasting my paragraph about mindfulness here. But someone has REMOVED it! Would you believe it? They have "rolled back to last good edit" apparently. LOL

I just wrote a whole post about the wonderfulness of creating wonder on the web and someone has removed my little piece of wonder. And demonstrated the tribal collaboration that goes on here. Love it.

Oh, wait, there is a list of edits on the page and there I am - another Anon and there too was my little contribution that got dumped:

Practise 'mindfulness'. Attend to even mundane tasks like washing dishes with your full awareness. Bring yourself back into the present moment when your feel yourself wandering into feeling down and focus on the task at hand.

See, the glory of the world wide web is that beauty never dies and every individual is empowered. Plus, you are able to blow eggs with aplomb.


* mind-blowing? Am I being judgmental again?

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online